Friday, September 20, 2013

Full of Praise

Jesus is good.

This is not a new revelation.  It would be ridiculous of me to have experienced what I have of Him and not know that. 

But this week two of my students asked to pray with me so that they could ask Jesus to forgive their sins and be their Savior and Lord forever.  Another student told me that after we talked about it in class, she went home and prayed to Jesus herself.  

And I am blown away.

The past year has held many lessons for me but one theme has shown up through it all.  Jesus is in pursuit of my heart.  He's not interested in all of the "good Christian" things I do.  He wants my heart and He has been pursuing it for far longer than I realized (and probably longer than I currently realize).  He has worked relationships, broken relationships, hurts, desires, unfulfilled dreams, and an unexpected calling all together to capture my heart.

As refreshing and revolutionary and life-giving as this realization has been, I am now amazed at His pursuit of the hearts of my students.  It's not that I didn't see it before...or didn't know it before...but to be shown it with such clarity this week...man, He Is Good.

Just think: these kids may or may not be from believing families.  God had to work out for these kids' families to hear about ICSB and to hear good enough things about it that they decided against sending their children to Hungarian school or any the other American/English schools in favor of the American run Christian school.  These kids have been hearing Bible stories and the Truth of God's love for them and Jesus' sacrifice and free gift of salvation from their Pre-1st, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade teachers and now from me.  This summer, as I was thinking through what I would do this school year, I felt so strongly that God wanted me to change how I do devotions - that rather than having prayer/prayer request time, I should do a more formal devotion with them.  And more than that, to focus heavily on the Gospel at the beginning of the year.  To really emphasize that our salvation doesn't come from going to church or from whether or not our families are Christian but that it's a decision we have to make for ourselves.  And still, all of this could have taken place and none of it would make a lick of difference if He had not been working on their hearts, softening them and opening their eyes and ears to His Truth.

But He did.  He wants their hearts just as much as He wants mine and the whole world's.  He's been chasing after them, and I am just so thankful to have been a part of His work.

And I have two new sisters in Christ and a new brother in Christ.

1 comment: