Sunday, July 7, 2013

4th of July

As the 4th approached, I remembered what some of the other teachers had said at the beginning of last year.  They had commented about how strange it was to celebrate Independence Day and hear the anthem after a year of living in another country.  With that in mind, I was preparing myself for a different 4th experience.

I shouldn't have bothered.  I can understand what they felt, but for me, being in Hungary didn't change a thing.  If anything, it made me more grateful for the afternoon I got to spend with my dad and little sister.  I still felt that swell of pride as the Star Spangled Banner played; still fully enjoyed sitting in the heat munching on a hot dog; still loved watching Jadyn get her face painted with red, white and blue stars; still stared in wonder as the fireworks exploded overhead.  Don't get me wrong, I loved being in Hungary.  I love how beautiful Budapest is and the different things that it has to offer.  But I completely loved being able to sit back and enjoy a fully American holiday.

I always liked July 4th, but it never felt like a super important holiday to me.  I love that as a country we recognize and celebrate our freedom and give thanks to the people who fought for that freedom, but the holidays that always meant the most to me were the ones where I got to spend significant amounts of time with family: Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, Easter.  But it had new significance for me this year.  I loved getting to celebrate America and being American this year.

1 comment: