My sister is here for Christmas and I could not have had a better Christmas gift (unless of course all of my family came up here)!
It has been a fun filled week! She arrived last Tuesday and got to spend Wed-Fri with my class. They loved her (of course) and had a blast wishing Merry Christmas to both Miss Nelsons and calling us Miss Nelson 1 and Miss Nelson 2. She loved her (again...of course! They are wonderful) and now how a better understanding of just how much I love my job! She got to come to our Christmas concert on Thursday (I was so proud of my kiddos! They did fantastic!) and came to our Christmas party on Friday.
We've spent our evenings in the city enjoying the freezing weather, the beautiful Christmas markets, and regular life things like going grocery shopping and trying to figure out just which bus/tram to take to get to different places.
So far we have visited the Christmas market on Vaci (the biggest shopping street), going to the massive malls, walking down the lit up Andrassy, Heroes' Square, St. Istvan's basilica, Matthias church, Castle Hill, Buda Castle, and the Hospital in the Rock.
Most fun of all...it snowed yesterday! I'm so glad that she got to see some snow! It wasn't the huge snowflakes that we had a few weeks ago but it snowed all morning. Probably a good 2 inches. And then it rained all afternoon which didn't melt it but turned it into huge blocks of ice. We also had the fun experience of climbing over the gate when it froze shut at 10:30 last night! :) And we saw The Hobbit in one of Budapest's English theaters. (soooo good!)
Today is Hungarian Christmas and most things are shut down but we are going to have Christmas with some of my favorite people in Hungary: the Hollowells and my friend, Hannah. I have attempted to make Buttermilk Pie but I have no idea if it is any good. Maybe I'll take some of the mounds of chocolate that I got for Christmas as a back up.
Tomorrow, we are planning on spending some time with the Mullets for Christmas. Their daughter, Kelsey, took over my job as Wesley's nanny and is back for Christmas while her parents prepare to return to America. We laughed about what we're going to do together tomorrow. She's going to sit there crying because she wants to stay and I'll sit there crying because I want to leave. :) All kidding aside, I'm looking forward to hanging out with her and her family.
We leave for Germany in a few days! I will post more about that when we get back.
In the meantime, Merry Christmas (Boldog Karácsonyt), I love you, and I miss you!
No comments:
Post a Comment