Saturday, August 25, 2012

St. Istvan's Day and Open House

St. Istvan's Day was Monday.  Saint Istvan (or Stephen) was the first Christian king of Hungary and established it in 1000 AD.  So, on August 20th, we celebrated Hungary's 1012th birthday!  Makes America seem pretty young, huh?

Some of the veteran teachers took us newbies downtown into Budapest for the day.  We rode the volánbusz into the station at kelenföld (don't worry, I can't really pronounce it either) and then took the city bus to the Pest (pronounced Pesht) side and went to St. Istvan's basilica and Vaci Utca (Vot-see oot-suh) and a bunch of other places that I can't remember or pronounce.  Suffice it to say though that I live in an amazing and beautiful city.  We walked past the Parliament building which is too beautiful for words or pictures.  I am always amazed at the time that must have gone into making such a huge and intricate building.  Then we got some delicious ice cream at which the server laughed at me when I tried to order.  Ah well...it'll happen more times, I'm sure.  Then we walked across the Margit híd, or Margaret Bridge.  We ate off of some food carts where they had the biggest pans I've ever seen.  

After that, we made our way to a spot near the Liberty Bridge (Szabadság híd) to see the fireworks.  We weren't in a great spot and so didn't get to see all of the fireworks.  It's supposed to be one of the best shows in all of Europe.  They shoot them off in synchronization from three different spots over the Danube.  

It was a very hot day, but a great day to be out and about in the city.  It was also really nice because I got the chance to know some of the girls at the school better.  Getting the chance to hang out outside of school functions and after the "Where are you from?  What do you teach?" formalities was really nice.  I work with some really great people!

Here are some pictures from the day:

St. Istvan's Basilica from the road leading up to it


Latin for "I am the way, the truth, and the life"

More Basilica

Traditionally, they take out the box containing St. Istvan's mummified hand and parade it around the city.  We think we missed it, but this was the end of a procession that I briefly thought was the hand.

A cool tree held up by supports in the park

Chain Bridge

Hungarian Science University

Coming up on Parliament

Parliament

Oh look...more Parliament!

There were so many more!!!

The proud Hungarian flags on Margit Bridge

Parliament and the Chain Bridge from the middle of Margit Bridge


Chain Bridge


This is a terrible picture, but when the sun is setting, all of the buildings on the Pest side of the Danube reflect the orange light.  It was soooo gorgeous!

I think this is the Erzsébet (Elizabeth) Bridge


Liberty Bridge leading up to Gellért

Buda Castle

The week since St. Istvan's was All Staff Orientation.  There were lots of meetings.  Our director read a book called Death by Meeting over the summer.  Perhaps it's because he didn't want us to die or perhaps it's because the people I work with are so incredible or perhaps it's because I love what I'm doing and I'm so excited to be here, but the meetings were actually pretty cool.  We started each day with a few testimonies (I had to go first, but I actually didn't mind) and then we talked about various things like our vision, what to do in an emergency, tech updates, how to work the grading system.  By far the coolest meeting was on Thursday.  They had two parents and two students come talk to us about what ICSB has meant to them and how it has impacted them.  Very cool!

The rest of our time was spent getting classrooms ready and preparing for Open House (Meet the Teacher).  I'd actually already met quite a few of my students at church or around school, but it was cool to talk to the parents and to meet the kiddos I hadn't yet.  I'm so excited for Wednesday when school begins.  It's going to be a crazy year, but a great one.

Here's some pictures of my classroom:

My door - an idea I took from Pinterest

The view of my teeny classroom from the door - it's okay though.  I only have 12 students

Add caption

Social studies corner

Reading bulletin board - I'm very proud of the READING banner

Cubbies and the coolest thing of all - the fact that I can hang a Bible verse on my wall and not get fired!
School starts on Wednesday!  Please please please be praying for me as school begins.  Pray for my students.  I have one who speaks no English and two who don't know Jesus.  Also, please be praying for me as I try to decide on which church to join.  There are a few really great options.  And that I would find a mentor here.

I am planning on sending out a newsletter sometime this week.  If you are interested in receiving it, leave a comment here with your e-mail address or send me an e-mail or facebook message including your e-mail.

Also, while I have yet to experience what I would call "culture shock" I am missing the people back home.  Feel free to e-mail or message or Skype me at any time.  

Love and miss you all!

3 comments:

  1. Love all of it. Pics of the city, the classroom and your enthusiasm. It all looks beautiful. Can't wait to hear how next week goes. I hope you have my email because you know I want a newsletter. Love and miss you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a newsletter!! Love your room. You've been thinking about this for a long time, haven't you? Congrats!! Job well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the stories of your adventures out and about. I am looking forward to many more. Your classsroom looks great and is a very inviting. Your room doesn't look much smaller than Jadyn's. Love you and have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete