Hello from the UK! I am currently sitting in the “lounge” at
Heathrow airport in London. In
approximately 7 hours I’ll be en route to Budapest! Hopefully I will also be more awake at that
point, though that really seems unlikely.
Let me share with you a little bit about the last few
days. I’ve had every intention of
updating this thing for a few weeks, but there’s been so much else going
on.
Last Friday, April and Sarah threw me a wonderful going away
party. It was so great because I got to
spend so much time with people I love. We
celebrated my birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve since I
will miss all of those during the next few months. I think my favorite was singing the Aggie War
Hymn for Thanksgiving. Not only was it
awesome, but I got to see a lot of my non-Aggie friends either attempt it or
flat out refuse to do it.
The rest of the week was a bit of a blur. On Sunday, my church said goodbye. It was really good, but really hard too. But what a
blessing to be prayed over by my pastor, my home fellowship, the youth, and my
friends! I don’t know that I’ve ever
felt so loved in my whole life.
Monday and Tuesday were full of more goodbyes and running
around trying to finish last minute errands.
Tiffany came home Tuesday night and then the rest of the family came
over to pray over me. Again, it made me
feel so blessed to have the family that I have and it was such an encouragement,
but it was really difficult. Sacrificing
that closeness with my family and friends has without a doubt been one
of the more difficult things I’ve ever done in my life.
Wednesday, the day I left, was hectic. The combination of feeling like I had a
million things to do with no time, wanting to sit back and enjoy my last few
hours, the fact that I hadn’t slept well all week, and the realization that in
a few short hours I would really be saying goodbye to everyone and everything I
know meant that my anxiety/freak out level was maxed out. Probably the most disappointing thing about
the day was that I’d been telling myself all week that my “last meal” would
include a Chick-fil-A cookies ‘n cream milkshake, but I was so anxious that I
couldn’t eat it. I really couldn’t eat
anything the whole day.
Airport goodbyes were miserable but having those last few
precious moments with my family was worth the tears.
Then came the worst part of the day – easily the worst
airport experience I’ve ever had. There
are a few facts you should know: 1) my connection in Dallas was already the one
that I was the most concerned about making, 2) I’m not an overly huge fan of
flying in general, 3) I was already at a record level of stress. When I got to my gate, the flight was
already delayed 25 minutes. Not a big
deal, right? I kept my eye on it and it
looked like I’d still have a ton of time once I arrived to make my connection. Well, as I’m sitting in the gate (feeling
hungry for the first time in days and chowing down on a Salt Lick pulled pork
sandwich – yum!) I notice a little cluster of TSA workers and policemen
gathering around the check in desk. I
was a little curious but not too worried.
The plane arrived and everyone got off.
Then the check in guy announces that TSA will be checking
the flight. Immediately, I start
flipping out a bit not only because the flight will now surely be delayed even
longer but because I am now envisioning TSA finding horrible things on my
plane. But I calmed down after a
bit. Then, they come off the plane, have
a huddle session, and announce that they will be doing random searches of
passengers. That’s when I lost it. We are talking full on freak out. I was hyperventilating and crying and ended up
calling my dad because I needed someone to talk me down. I know that part of it was my fear, but I
think a bit of it was some spiritual warfare because the first thought running
through my head was, “I want to go home.”
Eventually (after a lot of talking to my dad and praying frantically), I just bit the bullet and got on the plane. About the time I was starting to calm down,
the captain comes on over the PA and informs us that the turbulence would make
it too dangerous for anyone, including the Flight Attendants to get up. That didn’t help. (There also was hardly any turbulence. Also, apparently when it's too turbulent for the FA's to serve coach, it's not too turbulent for them to serve 1st class...)
Anyway, obviously nothing happened as I’m sitting here in
London. I was fortunate enough to have a
very chatty seat mate who didn’t mind talking to me the whole time. The next concern was that I only had 30ish
minutes to make my flight to Heathrow. I
wasn’t too worried, but I knew I’d probably have to book it. As it turns out, we arrived at D31 and my
flight took off from D30! I got off my
plane just as they were calling my group to board. And even better, there wasn’t a team of TSA
agents standing outside the plane!
The flight to London was great. Dinner was yummy! I was on the second to last row, but the seat
next to me was empty so I had a little more room to stretch out. Those international planes are huge anyway
and the Flight Attendants were super friendly.
Again, I was so tired anyway that when I combined that with some Tylenol
PM, I was out! I went to sleep maybe an
hour after take off and woke up and hour before arrival. It wasn’t the most sound sleep ever, but it
was certainly more than I’ve slept on previous flights.
Now I’m in London. I
have decided against going out to the city.
I’m not sure if that decision is because I’m utterly exhausted, because
I don’t feel like going through customs, or because I don’t think my body could
handle any more stress, but I decided just to sit here in the waiting lounge
for the next six hours. I’ve got my Kindle and my iPhone so I should be set.
UPDATE: From my classroom in Diosd now! My flat is cute and not as small as I thought. My classroom has a ton of stuff that I need to go through, but I'm excited about that.
The flight to Budapest was cool. I ended up sitting in the lounge next to the Hungarian Olympic team - one of which won the gold medal on the pommel horse, Kristian Berki.
It was a big deal! Everyone was taking pictures with him and the whole plane applauded whenever he got on and then there was a HUGE welcoming crew with TV cameras and chanting and people wearing scarves with his face on it at the airport. It was basically the coolest way to be introduced to Budapest. :) I took a video of the madness on my phone and will upload it later.
Please be praying for a smooth transition into life
here. Now that all of the goodbyes are
over, I’m really excited to get started at the school and in Budapest.
I miss you all!
Well, HE never said it was going to be easy...hopefully your first day experiences will be the most traumatic that you face while you are away. I love you dearly and am praying for God's hands to develop you as He sees fit and to use you as only He can. His success to you.
ReplyDeleteGet some rest. Looking forward to the updates, and I know you are going to love lesson planning, setting up bulletin boards, games, learning centers, getting ready for the kiddos, etc. Lots of fun ahead. Can't wait to hear more.
ReplyDeleteJó éjszakát (Good Night) - is this right?
Love you - Mom
PS - I always love how I have to prove I'm not a robot on here by typing in a word which is so blurred that only a robot could read it. haha