Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas Break

Christmas break is a beautiful thing.  After weeks of parties (literally, I had 2 weeks where we packed in 5 parties - Christmas, goodbye, birthday, another Christmas and marble party - along with 2 birthday parties outside of school) and crazy kids and crazy teachers and creativity gone wild, it's nice to have a break.

My Christmas was spent in 2 places.  Christmas Eve was spent with my roommate and 2 friends (Hannah and Austin - a couple with UWM) at our friends' house (the Hollowells - UWM Area director with his wife and 4 children).  Tiffany and I spent Christmas Eve with them last year as well.  We had appetizers and then played games and then had dinner and then talked about advent and spent some time reflecting on the "holes" in our life that Christ desires to redeem in order to let His light shine through us.  It was really beautiful.  So it was nice, getting to spend Christmas Eve with friends that I truly love and enjoy.

That night, Diana and I dragged our mattresses downstairs and slept by the Christmas tree!  It was really fun!  We also both bought each other pajamas and opened them that night so that we could sleep in them.

Christmas morning we woke up and exchanged gifts before preparing breakfast and then heading over to Austin and Hannah's for Christmas brunch.  We exchanged gifts with them and then watched Meet Me in St. Louis.  Then, we came back home to nap, shower, and prepare for our Christmas feast.  At 5 PM, we went back to Hannah and Austin's for Christmas dinner.  Then we played some games (Boggle - which I won, True Colors, and Farkle - which I lost very badly in).  You know, Christmas away from home is a hard thing for me.  As stressful and crazy as the holiday season can be, I always enjoy spending time with my family whether we're playing games, sitting around talking, or yelling at a football game on TV - it's something that I cherish and look forward to, so being away from it is a painful thing.  But, I will say this, if I couldn't be with my real family, it was wonderful to be with three of the people who have become like family.  I really enjoy Austin, and Hannah and Diana have journeyed with me and encouraged me in some difficult things.

As I reflect on this Christmas, especially in comparison to where I was emotionally last year, I see so clearly God's blessing.  He has expressed His love to me in so many tangible ways over the last year.  With friends, with circumstances, with the undeniable reality that He called me to Him and as I drew near, He drew near to me.  It hasn't been easy...it's been downright painful at times (and even now, as He has given me an easy burden as far as living situation, class time, enjoyment of my daily life, He prods at my heart revealing far uglier things than I ever wanted to admit were there) but He has shown Himself to be loving, tender, compassionate, and powerful.

Word of Advice: Do not let students play with your camera unsupervised

With 3 of my girls at the Christmas concert

With one of my students from last year

My kids are so adorable!

Elementary Christmas Party - Make a snowman race

Lili 

The Elementary teachers had a door decorating contest.  We won "Funniest"

Diana and me outside of the Operahaz with the giant Nutcracker

Our class Christmas party - the kids wanted to play chess.  No wonder they are such good problem solvers!

At the Budapest Christmas Market with two of my friends

1 comment:

  1. Hey DeAnne!

    It was great to hear about your Christmas and your life! God bless you! You were a huge encouragement and blessing to me last year!

    ReplyDelete