Happy Canada Day!
The weekend at PFO has been great! Yesterday we started the day with a morning session (they tried to make us feel better by telling us breakfast was at 7:30 instead of 7:15 - which didn't help) about teaching in a Christian school and integrating the gospel into the different subject areas. It was really interesting and really exciting to start thinking about all of the ways that I can bring Christ into the different areas I'll be teaching!
After that I met with my adviser and then I got the afternoon to myself. It's still just in the 80s so I camped out with my book under a tree and alternated between reading and napping. After a while, a few of the more athletically coordinated people played soccer (or futbol as I should get used to calling it) so I worked on my reflection paper and watched them, jealous of their proficiency.
After dinner, a group of us walked to the local Chinese place and ate way too much fried food and then we played the game Things in a Box for two hours. I went to sleep at 11:30 last night, the latest since I've been here. It was a good time though just getting to laugh and bond with some of my PFO friends.
Before coming to PFO, I'd heard that you form a community here. I didn't believe it. And even after I'd been here a few days, I still was doubtful. But something about the last few days has changed. Maybe it's me or maybe it's just spending so much time with these people, but God has answered my prayers when I was crying out to Him about feeling lonely. The last few days have felt much more comfortable for me and I'm so thankful for that.
Today, we had a worship service and one of the PFO directors gave the talk. It was good. We talked about being humble and read from Philippians (which made me smile because I was thinking about the FBC high school girls). It was great to be digging into the Word with these people that I've spent so much of the last week with. I did miss FBC though. 2 straight weeks away from my church family and away from Paul's teaching has been hard. It's going to be even harder when I know I won't be returning for 2 years.
After church we hopped on the bus and went to Niagra Falls. It was beautiful! Again, I'm just amazed at our God. He didn't have to create this beauty. The world would function just fine without it, but He made it anyway. And I got to enjoy it! We rode on the Maid of the Mist boat and then I trekked over to Canada because the view of the falls is prettier from that side. Here are some pictures:
| Looking down the falls from the US side |
| With my Vienna buddies about to board the Maid of the Mist |
| The bridge between USA and Canada |
| The falls from Canada |
| The "Horseshoe Falls" |
Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!
Insomnia tonight so I checked your blog. To my delight, you had written. Glad to hear you are enjoying it and made friends. The Falls look amazing; what a wonderful afternoon.
ReplyDelete